I just arrived back from a home staging consultation for an upcoming listing of mine. For most of my listings, I provide a home staging consultations with Margaret Innis of Decorate to Sell. An acquaintance of mine, who is not a real estate agent, was fascinated by the process and had a bunch of questions about home staging, which led me to write this post.
What is Home Staging Not?
Home staging is not about decorating your home to sell. Home stagers for the most part do not have you go out and buy new furniture and accessories to make your home pretty. While occasionally they will make some recommendations to make some small purchases it is very rare that my home stager, Margare,t will have anyone buy expensive furniture or accessories. It is not an interior decorating session. Don’t think because you have a great flair for design you know how to stage a home.
What is Home Staging?
Home staging is about “merchandising” your home. It is about showing off your homes best features and downplaying the not so appealing features of your home. Home staging is all about first impressions.
Professional home stagers are adept in the practice of preparing a home for sale. They work with the “flow” of a home, eliminate clutter, edit and arrange furniture, and even assist in enhancing curb-appeal. With the help of a home stager, your house can make a memorable and positive first impression on potential home buyers.
Remember- How we live in a home is very different then how we present a home to buyers.
So what did we work on today? The house is a relatively new construction and is in great shape. The seller had young children and a very busy schedule. Very little physical repair needed to be made to the house, short of some minor paint touch ups. We focused on:
- Showing off the beautiful hardwood floors and removed a lot of runners and even some area carpets to show off those gleaming hardwood floors.
- This home had huge floor to ceiling windows some with transoms. There were also impressive views through most of the windows. We removed many of the window treatments that were hiding the impressive windows and the views.
- We re-arranged some furniture as well as removed some furniture to open up the flow of the home.
- Removed much of the personal pictures on the wall as well as a large majority of the artwork.
- Decided to have a cleaning crew come in and make the home sparkle from top to bottom, including the windows!
- Made suggestions to de-clutter and put a plan in place to prevent clutter from building up while the home was being shown.
What does home staging cost?
If I feel I have a home that would benefit from home staging and I believe the sellers will put in the time, I provide a free home staging consultation for my sellers!!
Home staging can recoup thousands of dollars and can make the difference between selling your home or not. Consult your REALTOR to see if your home would benefit from home staging.