Learn to maximize your home search.
Inventory on homes is very low. Market times are down. There is a lot of competition among home buyers. The good properties coming on the market are going in the first few days of hitting the market.
If you are serious about buying a home, you need to be aware of these homes immediately and be scheduling a showing the first day or two. Here are a few tips to maximize your home search.
- Sign up to receive daily email alerts. Your local REALTOR will have a system to send you daily email alerts of new homes hitting the market. The daily alert will have homes that are brand new to the market, price changes and homes that are coming back on the market. Your local REALTORS system will pull directly from the Massachusetts Multiple Listing service and update regularly through out the day. Important note National aggregators like Zillow and Trulia do not pull their information the same way a REALTORS notification system does. Many times a house will be under agreement before the home is even listed on the sites. Use a local REALTORS system mscimize your home search!
- Learn the home search system you are using. These can be some very, very powerful tools to find your new home.
- There are little to no houses for sale that one system will have that another won’t. Yet buyers jump from site to site trying to find the one home that no one knows about.
- Be focused in your home search. Hone in on what is really realistic for you. I see many home buyers with too broad of a search and trying to find that gem that doesn’t really exist. Concentrate on what is realistic and don’t get side tracked chasing home that that is a pipedream. You will be missing good home right under your nose.
- Don’t be afraid to look at homes that fit your criteria. Looking at homes on the internet is certainly helpful, but there is only so much you can determine from the internet. If the home meets your basic criteria, go see it. I can’t tell you when I work with home buyers how pleasantly surprised they can be when I suggest a home that wasn’t on their list to see, but they go take the time to see it anyways.
Work with a local REALTOR as a buyer’s agent. Create a relationship with a good buyers agent. When I am working with a client I am on several times a day, looking to see if any new homes showed up fitting your criteria. A good agent will also help you hone your criteria and is good at sorting out what you really want.
- Get Pre-approved. Before doing anything take the time to get pr-approved. Going thru the pre-approval process will save you time and potentially money. You won’t being second guessing what you think you can afford.
Taking these several steps will go a long way in maximizing your home search and making the most of your next home purchase. With inventory low, home prices rising and interest rates projected to rise wasted time could cost you money.
This article, Maximize Your Home Search, was provided by Kevin Vitali of EXIT Group One Real Estate. If you would like to partner with a Buyers Agent to help you maximize your home search call me at 978-360-0422.